We found some great tips on the Raising Children Network parenting website, for encouraging positive behaviour.
- Children do as you do so always behave in a manner you would like your children to follow.
- Show your children how you feel, if they have upset you, then tell them why in a simple way they will understand, instilling empathy at a young age is important.
- Catch them being ‘good’ and praise them immediately.
- Get down to your child’s level it always seems less intimidating.
- Keep promises and stick to agreements.
- Choose your battles.
- Whining: be strong and don't give in!
- Responsibility and consequences.
- Say it once and move on.
- Make your child feel important.
- Above all - maintain a sense of humour!
Also included is a video link that explains the above tips in an entertaining format. Check it out at http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/encouraging_behaviour_video.html